It has been possible to root the new Nook Tablet for a while - but it's been a complicated process we've been hesitant to recommend for most users! Now thanks to folks over at xda-developers it can be done simply by writing a few files to an SD card, inserting it into the device, and rebooting!
This new root works on any firmware version including 1.4.1 of the Nook Tablet and will transform your nook Tablet into a full-fledged Android tablet - complete with Google apps and Android Market.
If you've done this on the Nook Color the process is pretty similar. You need to download some stuff to an SD card, boot with it, etc.
Here are some step-by-step instructions you can use on Windows to get your Tablet up and running quickly without all the B&N restrictions!
They could have just called it the Nook Color 2!
- Nook Tablet is a metallic silver instead of a dark gray and has a more textured back.
- Nook Tablet weight almost 1.5 ounces less than the Nook Color
- Nook Tablet has 1GHz dual-core processor /1 GB RAM versus 800MHz /512 MB RAM single core in nook Color.
- 16GB RAM storage on Tablet versus 8GB RAM on Nook Color. At this point only 1GB of the RAM is available for you to use on non-B&N content. Most people could just add space with an SD card where they control what goes on it ($20 for 16GB SD card).
- Tablet battery has 11.5 hours of "read time" versus 8 hours on the nook Color
- Same screen size, resolution, and technology - no changes.
- Tablet has a microphone which can be used to provide your own narrations to kids books.
- Tablet supports better resolutions on video and has Hulu app pre-installed. Netflix works on either.
- New "Read and Record" your own book narration only on Tablet
- Access to streaming movies/TV via Netflix (you just have to download the app).
- New nook Comics support.
- Improvements to the book reading experience (read in portrait/landscape & more font sizes). Way nice.
- PagePerfect™ NOOK Books™ - a whole new category of NOOK Books carefully crafted to keep the precision and beauty of their stunning print versions. Zoom in on pictures, and fluidly scroll through pages of beautiful cookbooks, art books, and more.
- Direct look-up of words in the built-in dictionary.
- The nook button (n) has been revamped to pop-up and include more places. Double tap home to get to the home screen.
- The button for font changes in book reading is a small caret by page number.
- Video support via Flash player.
- Shop enhancements are nice and it runs faster (to me).
So my impressions are that after an hour of playing this is a pretty solid update. The netflix streaming was nowhere as smooth as my iPad but it was usable. The shop app updates are nice. I know a LOT of people have been waiting for landscape reading and it seems to work well (2 column layout).
You know, given how some devices I own have been abandoned (Galaxy Tab 7) I think it's great to see B&N hasn't left the nookColor in the dust as with their new nook Tablet on the scene :)
If you don't want to wait for the update you can get more information and download it on the B&N site here.
If you have a rooted device or sideload apps you should wait before applying this update as B&N has closed sideloading. I think this is a huge mistake - but hopefully you'll be able to root this version soon and bypass that restriction.
- The New Nook Tablet Arrives
- Nook Touch Browser - Cute or Useful?
- The New Nook Simple Touch Reader First Look and Unboxing
- The All New Nook
- What Will the New Nook Device Be?
- NookColor 1.2 Update & Advice on Rooting
- Nook Color Software Update Coming?
- Nook Color Firmware Update 1.1.0
- How-To Save or Download YouTube Online Videos on the nookColor
- How to Borrow eBooks from your Library with Nook or NookColor
Page 3 of 25
New to the nook?
- Adding e-reader Memory
- Places to find e-books
- Find Answers in our FAQ
- Using Nook with ADE Video
- Troubleshooting ADE Issues
- Cases and Accessories
- Ask Questions in our Forum
Memory for the Nook
Recent Forum Posts
| Re:Hacking refurbished simple touch.|
Vladimir Tolskiy 19.5.2013 7:42
| Re:Hacking refurbished simple touch.|
John Skilleter 19.5.2013 5:13
| Re:eBook Conversion Service|
arnoldous dous 16.5.2013 0:51
| Hacking refurbished simple touch.|
Vladimir Tolskiy 8.5.2013 21:03
| Re:Corrupted file system|
Mark (Admin) 5.5.2013 7:14