Wow, I found something really useful in the otherwise disappointing 1.3 update! Free book reading!
Here's how it worked for me. I connected to the store network normally and I received a pop up welcome message. It said, "Read eBooks for free. You can read many eBooks for up to one hour each day. Find items in your nook's Shop then tap Read In Store".
Notice the word "MANY". The first couple books I tried did not have the "read in store" option. I then found one book and started reading it. Every page or two it says, "Loading Page" - and pauses. That's how they control the reading time by checking you every few page turns (smart idea). You don't seem to have many reading options in this mode - no navigation with table of contents or footnotes. You also can't do bookmarks, or notes until you buy the book (pretty expected). The first book locked up hard after a few pages so I cancelled and tried another book which seemed to work flawlessly. Yes, I did try when I got home and it just hung on "Loading Page"
- Store has a new menu option, "Recently Read in Store", which makes it easy to continue reading previously read books. Nice.
- The "Shop" icon has a "In Store" ribbon on it in the launcher. Cute.
- Not all books are available. I didn't see a 1:1 correlation with "Lend Me" items.
That make the 1.3 update worth it?
|< Prev||Next >|
New to the nook?
- Adding e-reader Memory
- Places to find e-books
- Find Answers in our FAQ
- Using Nook with ADE Video
- Troubleshooting ADE Issues
- Cases and Accessories
- Ask Questions in our Forum